Monday, April 30, 2007

Right-wing "media"

Boy, I'm a bit behind, but I'll catch up with the vengeance of a hugely pissed-off ardvark (they can be quite ferocious, I understand)

I heard the (mainly right-wing) media uproar about the toilet paper comments made by Sheryl Crow. I don't know anything about Sheryl Crow, other than that she's a pretty lousy artist, but my immediate impression was that she was 1) making a joke, or 2) a right-wing plant. It seems that the former assumption was correct, which is completely obvious if you read her original post. But that didn't stop Fox News, and almost every other right-wing media pundit/ blog/ idiot from acting as if she were serious. I could believe that these people are dumb enough to think that Crow was serious, but actually, I don't think that's the case. They knew she was joking, but also knew that their audience is so deluded that they would buy it. Fox News is not serious media, if anyone had any illusions.

It is a scary fact that many Americans get their news from a source that reports, with a straight face, that "Crow says we should wash out our toilet paper and re-use it. "

No comments: