Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why complain about high gas prices?

Personally, it is annoying to have a greater percentage of my family income going into my gas tank, but let's look at the bigger picture. I'll do this next bit in Don Rumsfeld mode...

Am I annoyed by high gas prices? Yes.
Is it goofy that I ask myself questions in public addresses? Maybe.
Does it bother me that oil companies are making record profits while the middle/lower class is getting squeezed and the administration enables and promotes this? Sure, but what else is new?
Is the middle/lower class consumer willing to purchase energy efficient vehicles or support investigation into alternative energy sources unless fossil fuel prices are astronomically high or the world experiences catastrophic environmental calamities? Apparently not.
Are petroleum companies shooting themselves in the foot by manipulating the market to inflate gas prices, as this will hopefully result in behavioral changes in the population? I hope so.

Is the unknown unknowable? I think so.
Are unknowables known to be potentially knowable in systems that promote universal knowing in heretofore unknowable capacities? Leave me alone!

I guess that, for now, I'm in favor of high gas prices. Humans, as a whole, seem incapable of the kind of thinking that proactively solves environmental problems. Birmingham has the fourth worst air quality in the nation. Our asthma rate is sky-rocketing. If that doesn't get people to buy efficient vehicles and support legislation to explore alternative, non-polluting energy, maybe high gas prices will.

2 comments:

Joe said...

You scared me when you started ranting about the unknown being knowable, Rummy...I mean, Trey.

Hey gas is still cheaper than Dasani water which I buy with no complaints.

Anonymous said...

Is bottled water good for environment? I'm not so sure.

see below.

http://thehumananimal.blogspot.com/2007/02/bottled-water.html